POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Joining cylinders with a miter-join : Re: Joining cylinders with a miter-join Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Joining cylinders with a miter-join
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 22 Dec 2006 02:55:00
Message: <web.458b8ec21e412a2be5a039020@news.povray.org>
> I often wonder how to make cylinders joining with a miter-join, that is:

.... cut ....

> But it leads to coincident surfaces. Making the cylinders overlap is not
> good either, because near the point of the angle, the biggest cylinder is
> the wrong one.
> Any suggestion?

Surely if the cylinders are different radii then it is hardly going to be
"nice" join anyway except for perpendicular views and orthographic camera.

In any case, how about taking the intersection of the two cylinders extended
past each other, that gives you the end piece. Then add cylinders up to the
start of the intersection ... the original end points less the opposite
cylinder radii.